Newborns are a reason of priceless moments and contentment. All they need is a caring hand and you should leave no stone unturned when it comes to infant care. It’s always a challenge for the newborn to get tuned to new surroundings and as a conscientious parent, you should follow the best newborn care methods to make this adaptation soothing and smooth. Even if you are blessed with a child for the first time, you can prove to be an ideal parent if you show great determination in caring for your bundle of joy. Since newborns and infants cannot express, you need to take the forefront in understanding what their body and mind is feeling. Certain factors that need special attention when it comes to newborn and infant care are discussed below.
• Treating the umbilical cord- You should check the umbilical cord of a newborn with each diaper change in order to detect any unforeseen swelling or draining. Use alcohol to dry it until it drops off on its own. You should take proper measures with regards to hygiene to ensure bacteria don’t pass from your palms to the newborn. Use a sanitizer recurrently while handling a newborn.
• Utmost Hygiene- Prefer non-scented diapers for babies to avoid any kind of skin allergy or irritation. Instead of bathing a newborn daily, give him a gentle sponge bath so as to abate the chances of infection. Depending upon the sanitary conditions, change the clothes of infants at least twice a day. Keep a regular check on diapers. As soon as diapers are soiled, they should be changed immediately. Periodical diaper change, at least five to six times a day, is crucial to avoid diaper rash. Besides, make sure to comb infants every day to save them from cradle cap which is a severe type of skin infection that causes scaly, rusty and patchy scalp in newborns and infants.
• Comfort Prerequisites- Infants are extremely delicate and sensitive to touch. For the same reason, you should search for comfy covers for your child prams and car seats. Additionally, when you hold them in your arms, make sure that the neck is offered proper support.
• Detecting Hunger indications: Learn to gauge what your baby needs by analyzing small activities like facial and hand movements. Feed them properly once such sign is detected.
• Milk Requirements– Avoid feeding your with formula, unless necessary. In the initial six months, the baby should only be fed with the mother’s milk as it contains all the vital ingredients that are required for healthy infant development. After each feed, it is important to burp the baby. Burping is imperative to rid babies of the air they swallow while feeding. The extra air swallowed can lead to colic, spitting and crankiness in babies.
• Clothing - Infant clothing needs special attention as the body temperature of a newborn is different from that of an adult. The body of an infant is sensitive to temperature and therefore you should cover your little one with an extra layer of clothing. Go for soft, cotton material that is safe for delicate baby skin.
Thus, these simple checks can assure a proper infant care and at the same time would help you in understanding your own child in a better way.