The arrival of your bundle of joy announces new responsibilities for parents, especially for the new mom. A newborn is completely dependent on the mother’s milk as it is the best source of essential nutrition for babies. When you breastfeed a baby, it is not just a matter of nutrition but also of comfort and bonding. Try to make an eye contact with your little one during the feeding session. This is a wonderful time to talk to your infant.
Multiple Advantages of breastfeeding
The manifold advantages of breastfeeding both for babies as well as moms include:
• Higher IQ
• Lifelong immunity and substantially decreased risk from a series of chronic ailments such as ear infections, , pneumonia, respiratory illnesses bronchitis, , septicemia (blood poisoning), kidney infections asthma, meningitis appendicitis
• Enhanced bone density
• Easily digestible
• No preparation time and cost
• Round the clock availability
• Heightened emotional bonding
• Reduces the risk of child obesity
• Complete nutrition for infants
• Generates weight loss in mothers
• Diminishes chances of ovarian and breast cancer in nursing mothers
Nursing in the right position is also an important aspect of breastfeeding. The comfort level of both the mother and the infant should be kept in consideration. However, this keeps on varying as per the age of your infant and changing comfort levels.
• Cradle hold breastfeeding: In this position, you can use one hand to hold the infant and use the other to shift your breasts accordingly.
• Football Hold breastfeeding: This is very beneficial for mothers who have had a cesarean section and wish to avoid any weight strain on their abdomen. Support your baby with pillows and tuck him under your arm just like a football. In this position, you can see your breasts clearly and at the same time feed your baby properly. This is apt for the mothers who have large breasts.
• Side lying breastfeeding: This position helps you to breastfeed your child without letting any pressure on the abdomens, post cesarean.
• Saddle hold breastfeeding: This is an easy way of feeding the little ones who can sit up. You can make use of it in case your baby has a running nose.
Thus, depending upon the scenario and your comfort, you can swap between these positions to provide best nursing prospects to your little one.
Newborns are very tender and they should be given apt rest and support during breastfeeding especially in positions like football hold or side lying. Proper support will prevent your baby from undesirable strain on the back or on the neck. Get your hands on some soft, comfy pillows that are designed specifically for the breastfeeding process.
An apt latch is most sought during breastfeeding. Your and your infant’s belly should be in contact and so should the baby’s chin and your breasts. Any sort of wrong placement would lead to difficulties in sucking milk besides causing nipple soreness in mothers.
The infant’s lips should be flared around your breasts and you should check whether the tongue has curled the breasts or not by lowering the lip. The swallowing sound and the wiggling of ears is what you should make a note of during the breastfeeding session.
Keep changing sides
Give some breaks during breastfeeding and change the sides when required. You can break suction by inserting your finger in their mouth’s corner.